Job Title Dispatcher
Department Police Department
Date Posted 1/10/2018
Posting Expires 1/25/2018
Job Description CITY OF SHAWNEE
POSITION: 911 Dispatcher
PAY RANGE: Grade 14 starting at $15.58/hour
REVISED: July 1, 2010
JOB SUMMARY: A non-exempt position that requires operation of the base radio and maintaining contact with mobile units to dispatch assistance where needed. Works under the direction of the Communications Supervisor and the Administrator of Support Services. “Job descriptions may be modified based on City needs and employees may be required to perform functions beyond those described below and employees are “at will employees” in that either party may terminate the employment relationship with or without notice.”
• Operates the base radio and maintains contact with mobile units to dispatch public safety assistance where needed in a supervised training capacity.
• Receives training from a Communications Supervisor utilizing the department’s five phase process.
• Cooperates with other law enforcement agencies as necessary.
• Receives and dispatches telephone emergencies; monitors and transmits radio communications; broadcasts orders to law enforcement and fire and ambulance; coordinates emergency requests; monitors emergency telephones and traces emergency telephone disruptions.
• Assigns backup units and arranges for emergency equipment as necessary.
• Operates a tape recording machine to record broadcasts and telephone conversations for record purposes. Operates in-house calls received, information on warrants, tickets, tag and license information.
• Monitors alarm systems and responds to malfunctions or activation of the equipment.
• Implements a rotating wrecker list and contacts wrecker units for service.
• Operates a teletypewriter updating and retrieving information relating to wanted persons, stolen property, vehicle registration, etc.
• Monitors activities in various settings throughout City Hall.
• Maintains and validates filing system related to the National Crime Information Center entries.
• Maintains logs on all computer inquiries made through the FBI III files.
• Maintains and operates computer aided dispatch system.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Must possess a high school diploma or GED certificate.
• Must possess experience in area of communication with the public.
• Must possess a valid Oklahoma driver’s license and maintain driving record acceptable to the City’s Insurance carrier.
• Must pass a complete background check to include OSBI and NCIC.
• Must complete the Oklahoma Law Enforcement Telecommunications Systems (O.L.E.T.S.) and become certified and licenses to use teletypewriter within 12 months of employment.
• Must be able to type (40 wpm desired), index, file, and perform other clerical functions.
• Must be able to work multiple computer programs.
• Must be able to communicate with public and police effectively in all emergency situations.
• Must be able to calm irate or frantic callers to elicit proper information.
• Must be able to maintain patience and a cool head.
• Must be able to follow police department’s chain of command policy.
• Must be a multi-task person that can handle safety issues in a time sensitive manner.
• Must be able to handle material with confidentiality.
SUPERVISION REQUIRED: Works under direct supervision of Dispatch Supervisor and Administrator of Support Services.
SUPERVISION GIVEN: None required.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
• Most of work is performed indoors in isolated area.
• Smoking is not allowed in the Communications Center or anywhere in the City of Shawnee City Hall building.
• Must have a clear distinct voice.
• Must be able to work under stressful situations.
• Must be able to sit for long periods of time.
• Must agree to wear uniform provided and follow the Communications Division uniform policy following training.
• Must be willing to work different hours, rotating shifts, weekends and holidays.
• Employee works in an office environment and uses a desk top computer, adding machine, fax machine, and copier.
• Employee is sometimes required to work outside in both normal and abnormal weather conditions as required.
• Employee is occasionally required to bend, stoop and twist when maintaining files.
• Employee may be required to walk up and down stairs.
• Some lifting is required usually up to at least 25 pounds – but may be required to lift up to 50 pounds on occasion.
• Must be able to adhere to Shawnee Police Communications/Dispatch Policy.
SPECIAL LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS REQUIRED: Must complete the Oklahoma Law Enforcement Telecommunications Systems (O.L.E.T.S.) and become certified and licenses to use teletypewriter within 12 months of employment.